SportCenter

 
All of the news of sport
Other News

Archives
Links

 
Google
 

Find Downline, get $5 for each of it.
 Free Register
Klik Below Banner

Monday, May 28
THAT’S THE TICKET TICKET
GOT pulled over the other day. Wasn’t wearing a seat belt. Cop peers in the window, looks at my driver’s license, smiles.

“You the guy who works at The Post?”

The heart always skips a beat here. You sense a sliver of an opportunity. You smell freedom. You seize it.

“I am, yes.”

“I like your columns. I read them every day.”

“That’s nice of you to say, officer,” I reply, kind smile fixed to my face, heart rat-a-tat-tatting now, knowing I am seconds away from being warned and sent on my way.

“I need your registration and insurance, too.”

And right there, in that spirit-crushing moment of pure clarity, I understood what must have gone through LeBron James’ mind at the end of Game 2 in Detroit the other night. Right there, in the five minutes it took for the constable to walk back to his car, return to mine, and make me $46 lighter, I understood something.

That’s how it should be. In sports. In life.

Really, all we ask is that we judge everybody with an equal scoring system. Was LeBron really fouled in those dying seconds of Game 2? Maybe he was, maybe he wasn’t. Nine times out of 10, maybe 98 times out of 100, officials are reluctant to make that call on anyone late in a pro basketball game, especially late in a pro basketball playoff game.

The shock, of course, is that we’ve come to expect players like LeBron to be granted the benefit of every doubt, as if by papal proclamation. This is especially prevalent in the NBA, of course, whose star system has been in place for decades, sometimes to extraordinarily ridiculous lengths.

If a feather fell from the top of Chicago Stadium in the early ’90s, Michael Jordan was going to the foul line, no matter how close the game was to the final buzzer. Tim Duncan, for all his incessant complaining, only has to wince late in a game and he’s going to be shooting free throws. And let’s not even begin to discuss all the gentlemanly treatment Dwyane Wade received last year from the men in gray who served as his co-conspirators on the path toward the NBA title.

Labels: ,

posted by ^%&^ @ 10:34 AM   |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
I'm ^%&^
From


Previous Post
Template by
Free Blog Template by Request
Support by

Add to Netvibes Indonesia Top Blog http://bloggerreviews.blogspot.com :: MalaysiaTopBlogs :: Indonesian TopBlogs Subscribe in NewsGator Online Blogroll.net World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites Blog Top Sites Top Blogs Directory - World Blog Rankings Add to My AOL PageRank Checking Icon Subscribe with Bloglines