SportCenter

 
All of the news of sport
Other News

Archives
Links

 
Google
 

Find Downline, get $5 for each of it.
 Free Register
Klik Below Banner

Saturday, April 22
Steady as she goes for Stenson at Asian Open

By Martin Parry

SHANGHAI (AFP) - All Henrik Stenson had to do Saturday was play steady golf and the Swede did just that, maintaining his one-stroke lead at the Asian Open as a bevy of golfers charged up the leaderboard. Stenson mixed three birdies with two bogeys for a one-under-par 71 to be well placed to win his seventh European Tour event.

But he has a host of players snapping at his heels, including Gonzalo Fernadez-Castano of Spain who rattled in four birdies in his 69 to lie one stroke behind.

Australian veteran Peter O'Malley, Englishman Paul Casey, and Mahal Pearce of New Zealand lurk a shot further back.

Colin Montgomerie, playing in gusty and overcast conditions that wouldn't be out of place in the Scottish Highlands, will need some of his old magic on Sunday to win the event with four strokes to make up.

But at least the burly Scot made the cut, which he had been unable to do in his five previous events.

Stenson said he was relaxed and enjoyed being the man to beat.

"I didn't do as well as Friday but I still put a decent score together considering it was tough out there and tricky in the wind," he said.

"I'm happy with where I am. I always prefer to be in the lead rather than a stroke or two behind, but there is still a lot of golf to play.

"For me, it'll be one shot at a time, one hole at a time -- that's the key."

He declined to say who he saw as his major threat for the 300,000 dollars winners cheque.

"They are all good players but I don't really pay much attention to who is behind me. I can only look after myself and be up there with nine shots to play."

Fernandez-Castano, who finished second to India's Jeev Milka Singh at the China Open last week, is enjoying a purple patch and is keen to record only his second ever Tour victory, following his success at the KLM Open in 2005.

"It was tough conditions, very windy and cold but I hit the ball well," he said.

"It'll be an honour to play with Stenson on Sunday and I just want to enjoy it. I'm the outsider and I'll just play my game. Hopefully I can take the trophy but if not I'll learn as much as possible."

Stenson's biggest threat could come from Casey, who seems to revel in China, winning the TCL Classic on the southern island of Hainan last year and following it up with victory in the China Open at Beijing.

He posted a gutsy 69 Saturday, despite a double bogey on the second hole and a bogey at the last, and believes an eight-under total will win the tournament.

"I'm very happy to be in with a shout considering the number of mistakes in the first few days," said the Englishman, who is looking to pick up as many Ryder Cup points as possible to force his way into the European team.

"It was extremely tough out there, the wind was gusting.

"Monty suggested eight under will be a good score and I still think that's what I have to aim for," he said. "So a 68 for me on Sunday."

The challenge from Asian Tour players, as is so often case, faded as the Europeans showed their superiority, although Tour regular Pearce recorded one of the best rounds of the day (68) to be in contention.

"It was a nice day out there as I managed six birdies. Three putted the last but it was a solid round so pretty pleased with that," he said.

"I've just got to stay up there and deliver."

posted by ^%&^ @ 9:57 PM   |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment

<< Home

 
 
I'm ^%&^
From


Previous Post
Template by
Free Blog Template by Request
Support by

Add to Netvibes Indonesia Top Blog http://bloggerreviews.blogspot.com :: MalaysiaTopBlogs :: Indonesian TopBlogs Subscribe in NewsGator Online Blogroll.net World Top Blogs - Blog TopSites Blog Top Sites Top Blogs Directory - World Blog Rankings Add to My AOL PageRank Checking Icon Subscribe with Bloglines